Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My First Spanish Joke

I have learned that much of what we say in English doesn't translate into Spanish. To prove this statement is a "Dictionary of American Idioms" that Brian has been using to teach some of the teachers at SALI. And Wes had to explain to Lenin what it meant for him to be 'itching' to help me. But yesterday I heard a funny in Spanish that doesn't translate into English.

The Spanish word for slow is lento. Like most of us, Peruvians have a love-hate relationship with their computers. So instead of referring to their computers as "Pentium III" or "Pentium IV," they jokingly call them "Lentium Tres" or "Lentium Cuatro." I was quite amused. And thought I'd pass along the joke.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute. . .I like that one. I like it that I got it too. We're praying for you and we miss you so much. Be encouraged. The kids send their love.
I love you too,
Hannah

Dabney 11 said...

I'm laughing out loud. We prayed for you two today during our family devotional time. We all love you and miss you very much. How's your cold?
Marian :)

Amanda Ness said...

Thats funny.....Well i miss yall too!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so lonely without Charlie and Charlarina!! lol...
Love,
Amanda

Chris said...

OMG..that is the best joke of all time.