Monday, April 14, 2008

On being Mama...

So it's day three of our parent adventure. Everyone seems to be doing ok. I'm probably the shakiest of all three of us. Our son has seemed to adjust pretty well. He's had a few tantrum-meltdowns, but that's to be expected. I think he's probably hearing "no" consistently for the first time in his life. And I'm sure he's confused and missing Wayne as well.

Our first night went well for him. After we finally got him to sleep, he slept all night. His mama, however, woke up to check on him every time he moved. So I didn't sleep much at all. Between the lack of sleep and stress in general (somehow night-time seems to bring it out more) Sunday morning was not fun for me. I was feeling pretty sick, so I stayed home and went back to bed while everyone else went to church. I started feeling better after lunch, but when I thought about putting him to bed (this takes a couple hours b/c we sit with him until he falls asleep) I would get panicked again. Then after we got him down, I would just stare at the baby monitor, afraid he would start to cry again. I'm not exactly sure why I get so stressed over the sleep thing specifically, maybe it's just the most obvious sign of my lack of control and the feeling that I don't know what I'm doing. (but what first-time mother does, I know)

Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who always points me to Jesus. He has reminded me several times that God is in control and I need to put my trust in him. I've been reminding myself of several Bible verses when I start to get nervous.

From Psalm 121: "I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth...He will not let your foot slip, he who watches over you will not slumber...the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night." When we originally memorized those verses, I couldn't understand why anyone would be afraid of the moon. Now that verse means a little more to me.

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways ackowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." I just keep trusting, for the grace to get through the difficult moments, and trusting that the ultimate outcome is in His hands.

So, overall we've been having a good first few days. And when I start getting stressed, one of the good things that I think forward to is getting to introduce him to all of you.
Ok, you're all thinking, enough talking. Show us some pictures! Here they are. Just a few snaps from the past few days.


Thanks to all of you for your prayers. Knowing that we have so many people praying for us is one of the things that God has been using to calm my heart when I get anxious. Maybe we can post more pics soon, but right now, he's keeping us pretty busy. We have a court hearing tomorrow morning, so after that hopefully we'll have some more good news.

6 comments:

Helen said...

Hurrah! And the adventure begins..

Kierstyn said...

Thanks for the update! And just do you know, you're not alone on being stressed over sleep! That's one of the main ways you know he's being healthy and doing what he needs to be doing. Praying for peaceful sleep for Mama!

"I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety."
Psalm 4:8

There's a song that goes with it that I'll teach you and Alex when you get home! :-)

Jacob Haynes said...

The duck pond! The only body of water in a hundred mile radius. I've climbed that willow many times.

Y'all are in our prayers.

ninepoundhammer said...

If it's any consolation, I am so used to Gracie Mae waking up throughout the night that there are times when I will hover over her to make sure I can hear her breathing when she sleeps soundly.

I sometimes waker her up by doing that--it's a vicious circle. You'll be an old pro in no time!

Hannah D A said...

More tears. . .quit doing that!
I love you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you for posting. I love you. We love you and are praying for you. Can't wait to hear about today's hearing.
Marian