Thursday, December 6, 2007

8 (or so) Favorite Books

So after being kindly and justifiably reprimanded for not updating my blog, here I am. I may be writing to myself, though, as everyone else has probably given up on checking my blog by this point. ;)

I'm currently reading Dumas' "Count of Monte Cristo." Re-reading, actually. But I had a suspicion that I didn't fully appreciate it the first time I read it. That suspicion has been confirmed, and I've been thinking that CMC may end up on my list of favorite books. Which leads us to this posting. I started thinking about other books that are among my favorites, and decided that I would create my own "8 things" list. So here are 8 of my favorite books. Not in any order, because for me, that's impossible.

1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Sci-fi novel that I have read so many times the cover has literally fallen off (it was just a cheap paperback, but still)

2. Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas

3. Amelia Peabody series by Eleizabeth Peters - (Yes, this is a whole series, not just one book, but since I'm making this list, I get to make the rules!) Amelia and her family are Egyptologists around the turn of the last century. Their excavation seasons are frequently interrupted by one or more dead bodies, and each book is an entertaining chronicle of their crime-solving capers. If I had to pick a favorite within the series, it would probably be "He Shall Thunder in the Sky"

4. Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - Heard of this book from Heather Ferguson (she made the book club read it) It's another murder mystery, but with some interesting twists.

5. Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers - (another murder mystery, I didn't know I was so blood-thirsty) I haven't technically read this one since Brian and I listened to the audiobook last Christmas break, but I think it may be my favorite in the Lord Peter Wimsey series.

Hmm...this is getting difficult. I should be doing this at home, where I can run downstairs and look at our bookcases, but I'm at work. I know most people don't need to be reminded of things in their "favorites" lists, but I've never been one to catalogue things into favorites.

6. War and Peace by Tolstoy - I'll add this to the list because it took me three tries to makes it all the way through. The first two attempts I got stuck in the same place (if I ever decide to re-read it, I'm only reading "Peace") But when I finally finished it, I remember thinking it was well-worth the effort and was a great book.

Well, it's about the end of my lunch break, and I can't bring any more titles to mind. So I'll leave you with only 6 favorite books and hopefully later I can finish out the list.

4 comments:

Brian Franklin said...

What a bright and witty woman you are. Some guy is going to be lucky to spend the rest of his life with you :)

Joshua Butcher said...

Brian, using a future indicative might reasonably imply that "some guy" isn't ALREADY lucky to be spending his life with said "bright and witty woman."

Not to mention that luck has nothing to do with it :-D

As John Ferguson would say, you are doing better than you deserve!

Heather said...

Yea!!!! for favorite books!!!! I have just been recently re-thinking my favorites. Going to add C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy - especially the last of the trilogy - That Hideous Strength for its twists and turns.

Jacob Haynes said...

Janelle, it’s always good to see you blog. Good list, I am indeed in anticipation about your final two picks. Now I’ll have to pick up that Orsen Scott Card novel. Here are mine (not including comic books):

1. Till We Have Faces (Lewis)
2. The Golden Key (MacDonald)
3. About Time (Davies)
4. Go Down Moses (Faulkner)
5. Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky)
6. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
7. The Pearl (Steinbeck)
8. The Princess Bride (Goldman)