Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Falling for Fall"

First, let me apologize for the lack of posting in the past few weeks. I looked at my blog today and was shocked to see that it has been almost a month since I last put something up here. My primary excuse is that I was not prepared for how much time 40 hours a week is. By the time I get home and we eat dinner, it's almost time to start thinking about getting ready for bed. On a normal night. Which we don't seem to have much. ;) Our weeks filled up pretty quickly, with softball on Monday, my Ladies' Bible study every other Tuesday (with dates in between), having the youth over Wednesday and Brian's evening class on Thursday (which does give me time to hang out with Hannah). By the time we get to Friday, I'm tired! I've already been working over two months, but I feel like I'm still trying to adjust to this new schedule. So apology aside, on to the reason for this post...

Fall. (or Autumn, whichever you prefer) I've decided that Fall is my favorite season. Mostly because it's the season I miss the most. Seasons in our corner of Texas are divided into two categories: summer and not-summer. I do ok with the heat until this time of year. In September, I know not to expect cool temperatures, and I think I've adjusted to that. But by October? I want cool mornings. And cool afternoon breezes.
Maybe what I miss even more than the temperature change is the color change of the trees on the mountains. Bristol is nestled in the foothills of the Appalachians. Fall is absolutely gorgeous becuase we're surrounded by mountains full of red, yellow, orange trees. I realized in going through our pictures on the computer, I have no pictures of our area in the fall. But I have to share some photos, so I browsed the net. I found lots of pics that were almost too vivid for anyone to believe if you've never seen it in person, so I went with a couple photos that were a bit more subdued. The photo with the bridge is the bridge we drive over on the way to PA to visit my Dad's parents, so I actually know where that is, and I've been there. I'm not sure where the other photo is. But they're both beautiful, and give a pretty good idea of what I think of when I think of Fall.


(Ok, I just couldn't resist one more with brighter colors)

7 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

I love Autumn as well! Hannah and I just put up our "Fall leaves" hanging thingy on the outside of our apartment door. We are hoping it ushers in some cooler temps too!

julianna said...

oh janelle, i know where you could find a piece of fall!!! come see me!! right now there is a crisp fall breeze coming in my window and i am hoping to take a "leaf peeping" tour of new hampshire soon!! i miss you!
i know how hard the adjustment to 40+ hours of work can be--its killer if you try to do everything you did while in school! ill be praying for you. love you!
Juli

Heather said...

I know where you can find some cooler temps. As for the bright colors, well...is dirt brown a bright color?
Living in a frigid desert in South America,
H

Hannah D A said...

OK Janelle, the bridge is the New River Gorge Bridge in Summersville, WV. That's right, West Virginia. Aahhh, I miss the fall there too.

ninepoundhammer said...

I'm gonna have to throw a flag on this mythical 'Fall' you auslanders keep talking about. Leaves changing colours? (I mean, besides green-to-brown?) Right! I may have been born at night--but it wasn't LAST night!

Leaves changing colours. Hee-hee; that's a good one!

Anonymous said...

Matt,
you are so funny. I'm laughing out loud. Janelle, I really miss the Fall too, especially in the Appalachians. Thanks for the great pix.
Marian :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Matt. You people must all be crazy. This doesn't happen in real life. I can only wish that someday I might get to see it! Oh yeah, Janelle, I did think we were having cool mornings! I seriously broke out my sweater to go let the dog out. Feel free to laugh at me all you want :).

Ashlee